Sunday, November 9, 2008

they grow!


I have been pondering upon motherhood as of late, and having the regular worries going through my mind. "Am I spending enough quality time with my children? Am I teaching them the things they are going to need to know in their lives? Do they know how much I love them?" Sometimes it seems like all I can do to keep up on everything else, and when I'm done the day is over. It's very sad to say, but some days I put my sweet children to bed without even reading them a book that day. I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to have to let "the other" things wait, while I enjoy, and love my babies. My sister in law Jenny had this poem on her blog, and I just thought it was so appropriate for me right now, so I'm going to borrow it from her.

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,

Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,

Hang out the washing, make up the bed,

Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?

She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,

Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.

Dishes are waiting and bills are past due

Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew

And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo

But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo

Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?

Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow

But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.

So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!

I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

1 comment:

Emma said...

I know what you mean. Sometimes I have to remind myself that keeping my house spotless isn't as important as spending time with my kids and that once the time is gone with my kids I can't ever get it back.