Monday, July 12, 2010

curtains tutorial

As I've mentioned before, we have been working on the house. The goal is to get all the little projects done before baby makes his grand appearance...which will be any day now. I wanted white curtains with a bold orange pattern on them for my front room, but I couldn't find anything close to what I had in mind. I had white curtains in the office, and red in the front room, so I did a switch, and dressed up the white curtains a little. Hind sight, I would have chosen an even bolder pattern, but they still look good.

Curtains Tutorial (my first tutorial I think)

You will need:
1.curtains
2.a stencil
3.fabric paint (I used the same paint we used on the orange wall because I wanted a perfect match, but now I will have to hand wash the curtains. fyi)
4.stencil brush (I liked the foam ones better, and they were .89 for a two pack)
5.tape


step one:
Lay out your curtains and figure out what pattern you are going to use with your stencil. practice on a scrap piece of fabric to get the hang of it. When you are comfortable, tape your stencil to the curtains starting at the bottom of the curtain (so if you make a mistake it won't be as noticeable)

step two:
dip the end of your stencil brush in your paint, and begin to gently fill in your stencil by using a dabbing motion.

Step three:
after the stencil is filled in, remove the tape, and slowly peel the stencil up. Rinse the paint off your stencil, and repeat steps 1-3 in your desired pattern.

Step four:
When paint is dry, hang your curtains, dish yourself a bowl of ice cream, put your feet up, eat your ice cream, and admire your mad crafty skills.

3 comments:

Colton, Whitney, Andee, and Paxton said...

Your curtains turned out so cute! I love them! And good luck the next couple weeks before baby comes.

Emma said...

You are so creative. They look great!

Jenny Axford Cook said...

That turned out really cute...you definitely earned yourself some ice cream.