Sunday, January 29, 2012

DIY Stenciled Curtains

Have you ever had exactly what you wanted pictured in your mind, but you couldn't find it anywhere? So frustrating right?!? I had this problem a year or so ago when I was looking for curtains for my front room. I wanted white curtains with a bold pattern on them in orange...but they were no where to be found. One night I had this stroke of genius, so I had to try it to see if it would actually work. Guess what...Shut the front door! It did. I only regret not using an even more bold pattern, but I still love them:)

Curtains Tutorial


You will need:
1.curtains
2.a stencil
3.fabric paint (I used the same paint we used on the orange wall because I wanted it to match, but now I will have to hand wash the curtains. fyi)
4.stencil brush (I liked the foam ones better, and they were .89 for a two pack)
5.tape

step one:


Lay out your curtains and figure out what pattern you are going to use with your stencil. practice on a scrap piece of fabric to get the hang of it. When you are comfortable, tape your stencil to the curtains starting at the bottom of the curtain (so if you make a mistake it won't be as noticeable)

step two:

dip the end of your stencil brush in your paint, and begin to gently fill in your stencil by using a dabbing motion.

Step three:

                               

after the stencil is filled in, remove the tape, and slowly peel the stencil up. Rinse the paint off your stencil, and repeat steps 1-3 in your desired pattern.



Step four:


When paint is dry, hang your curtains, dish yourself a bowl of ice cream, put your feet up, eat your ice cream, and admire your insane crafty skills.






No comments: