Tuesday, January 17, 2012

DIY Yarn Tree

I have been wanting to have a big tree in my room for a long time, but I didn't know if I wanted it to be painted, vinyl, stencil, or what. I as searching the web for ideas when I came across www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-make-a-string-tree-wall-109655
I loved the idea.
I did mine a little different then the apartment therapy blog, but both are so cool.

You will need:
yarn (I used brown for the tree, blue for birds, but you could do all kinds of cool things with color)
little push pins
thimble
Ruler
pencil

I started at the base of the tree and worked my way up one wall at a time. my tree is in the corner of my room (I'll show you a better picture in the "whole room reveal" later this week;)), but it would be a little easier to do it on just one wall. Start by pushing a pin through the end of your yarn to hold it in place, and use your ruler and pencil to make a line from that pin to your next. Push the next pin in the wall, wrap the string around it, and continue the process.
After a while I figured out it's easier to draw the lines and push all the pins in first, then wrap the string all at once.

I looked at the tree in my back yard for a reference, but you might want to print a picture of the kind of tree you like.
After you have the basic outline of the tree, go back and wrap more string in the spaces to create the look of bark.

To make my birds, I drew a simple outline of a bird, pushed pins around the silhouette, wrapped the string around the outside and eye first, then filled in the middle.

happy pinning my friends, and send me your picture when your done:)

No comments: